Learning to fly an aircraft is what I call a ‘life choice’. 

You obviously don’t have to do it, but if you do learn to fly, it will more than likely change how you look at the world below you. Because, literally the world is at your feet - well most of the time anyway.

It is of course a big deal when you consider the investment in time and funds needed to achieve those wings. So when meeting a new prospective pilot who is keen to learn, I advise them to book a trial flight with their local aero club first. This is because not everyone is wired to be a pilot. But it certainly is an indescribable feeling of achievement when you’re able to master the controls of a gravity defying contraption in all phases of flight. 

Once you have taken that first flight, you will know if this life choice is for you - or not. 

Learn to fly in planes suited for new pilots

Microlights - Amateur Built - Gyrocopters


Part 103 aircraft are a great way to get airborne and the rules governing this activity is greatly in favour of the owner of the aircraft. 

Basically, it places all the responsibility of airworthiness and maintenance in the lap of the owner and pilot along with the governing organisation they belong to. Which means the annual costs are typically lower, and the aircraft does not usually burn as much gas in flight. 

There are some downsides to this class in that you can only carry one passenger, there is no night flying and no flying over built up areas - just to name a few. However it’s not that bad for what you are able to do. 

We can help get you started in this class and are able to advise on the purchase of the aircraft, flight training, and type ratings.

Amateur built

In this class you can design and construct your own aircraft, or you can purchase a kit from a known manufacturer and assemble it. 

There are many choices of manufacturers that offer either kit components - so you can experience the whole build - or you may opt for a fast build option. The fast build option is becoming extremely popular as all the complex time-consuming components arrive pre-built and ready to assemble. 

There are tighter rules governing this class once the aircraft is built, compared to a Part 103 aircraft, but you also get the bonuses of night/IFR flying and aerobatics. This class does require you to have a PPL (Private Pilot License) but you only need a DL9 – P medical to keep flying with a PPL as of April 2021.

We can help you with the decision to purchase a particular aircraft, as well as assembling and certifying your project ready for flight.


This is an interesting form of flight as it is not a fixed wing aeroplane, and not a helicopter, but a bit of both. 

The main difference is that the wing rotates unlike a fixed wing aircraft, whose wing must never rotate. But unlike a helicopter the rotor blade/wing is not driven by the engine in flight. Now you may say that you have seen the rotor turn while stationary on the ground, and yes you are correct as most gyros have a pre-takeoff option to start the rotor. But once you start moving it is disengaged.

Gyrocopters fall into the Part 103 class, so you can enjoy all the privileges afforded to the microlight class. 

AVserv is partnered with a reputable training organisation that can help you with the purchase of a gyrocopter and flight training for it.

Need a type rating or biannual flight review?

AVserv can put you in touch with experienced friendly instructors that have thousands of hours in the industry, gained from both teaching and their own hands-on flying experiences.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can anyone learn to fly?

To be honest no. But if you have a passion for something, it is amazing what you can overcome to achieve your goal. Try it first and then decide.

Which licence will I get?

This will depend on what your end goal is. If you are looking to enter aviation as a career, then you will join up with a training provider who will take you all the way through to your commercial license.

If the GA (General Aviation) or Amateur/Home built class is your intention, then you will need a PPL. 

If you are looking at the Part 103 (Microlight) class, you will join SAC (Sport Aircraft Corp) or RANZ (Recreational Aircraft Association New Zealand) and one of their appointed instructors will train you to obtain your microlight flight certificate.

Where do we meet for training and what is the procedure?

This will depend on your circumstances. For example, do you own your aircraft, do you have a private airstrip etc? 

Most commonly you will meet the instructor at the airfield where he is based and where his training aircraft will be hangered. 

First you will have a pre-flight briefing discussing the lesson and where you will be flying. Then you will carry out a pre-flight aircraft inspection, conduct the flight, and afterwards there will be a post-flight briefing along with an aircraft inspection.


This product has been added to your cart